Note: This is a public test instance of Red Hat Bugzilla. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback at bugzilla.redhat.com.
Bug 1870368 - ocaml-4.11.1 is available
Summary: ocaml-4.11.1 is available
Keywords:
Status: ON_QA
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: ocaml
Version: rawhide
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
unspecified
unspecified
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Richard W.M. Jones
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2020-08-19 21:15 UTC by Upstream Release Monitoring
Modified: 2020-09-25 16:44 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed:
Type: ---
Embargoed:


Attachments (Terms of Use)
List of all ocaml* packages in Koji (2.31 KB, text/plain)
2020-08-21 07:38 UTC, Richard W.M. Jones
no flags Details
[patch] Update to 4.11.1 (#1870368) (946 bytes, patch)
2020-09-01 13:24 UTC, Upstream Release Monitoring
no flags Details | Diff

Description Upstream Release Monitoring 2020-08-19 21:15:02 UTC
Latest upstream release: 4.11.0
Current version/release in rawhide: 4.11.0-0.4.dev2.fc33
URL: https://ocaml.org

Please consult the package updates policy before you issue an update to a stable branch: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/


More information about the service that created this bug can be found at: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upstream_release_monitoring


Please keep in mind that with any upstream change, there may also be packaging changes that need to be made. Specifically, please remember that it is your responsibility to review the new version to ensure that the licensing is still correct and that no non-free or legally problematic items have been added upstream.


Based on the information from anitya: https://release-monitoring.org/project/2518/

Comment 1 Upstream Release Monitoring 2020-08-19 21:15:06 UTC
The following Sources of the specfile are not valid URLs so we cannot automatically build the new version for you.  Please use URLs in your Source declarations if possible.

- ocaml-4.11.0.tar.gz

Comment 2 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-21 07:38:23 UTC
Created attachment 1712131 [details]
List of all ocaml* packages in Koji

This is my starting list of all OCaml packages, taken from:

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/search?match=glob&type=package&terms=ocaml*

Some of these will be dead packages, I'll remove those later.

Comment 3 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-21 07:42:11 UTC
This is my side tag (just FYI, please do not build anything in here):

$ fedpkg request-side-tag --base-tag f34-build 
Side tag 'f34-build-side-28234' (id 28234) created.
Use 'fedpkg build --target=f34-build-side-28234' to use it.
Use 'koji wait-repo f34-build-side-28234' to wait for the build repo to be generated.

Comment 4 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-21 07:57:59 UTC
This is the branch of OCaml that we're going to be building:
https://pagure.io/fedora-ocaml/commits/fedora-34-4.11.0

Points to note:

 - RISC-V backend was added upstream to the 4.11 branch.

 - LTO fix is upstream, but different from the fix I sent and not included
   in 4.11 so I have cherry-picked their fix.

Comment 5 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-21 08:55:39 UTC
(In reply to Richard W.M. Jones from comment #2)
> Created attachment 1712131 [details]
> List of all ocaml* packages in Koji

The dead packages are:

ocaml-bisect
ocaml-bitmatch
ocaml-bitstring
ocaml-camlp4
ocaml-cmigrep
ocaml-config-file
ocaml-deriving
ocamldsort
ocaml-json-static
ocaml-json-wheel
ocaml-mikmatch
ocaml-openin
ocaml-p3l
ocaml-pa-do
ocaml-pa-monad
ocaml-pgocaml
ocaml-preludeml
ocaml-pxp
ocaml-reins
ocaml-type-conv
ocaml-ulex

The remaining packages + the non-"ocaml-*" packages have been assembled in this list:

http://git.annexia.org/?p=fedora-ocaml-rebuild.git;a=blob;f=Goalfile;hb=HEAD

Comment 6 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-21 11:20:31 UTC
$ ../goals/run goals -k

Builds can be followed here:
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/builds?order=-completion_time&userID=rjones

Because of the -k option goals will try to continue building after a failure
(as long as there are no dependencies on failed builds).  If a build fails
it must be fixed and rebuilt manually.  This version of the script does not
attempt to automatically retry failures - earlier versions did but it just
caused problems.

Comment 7 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-21 11:36:21 UTC
I think this was mentioned before, but several builds failed because of
the conditional BR:

BuildRequires:  (ocaml-sexplib0-devel >= 0.14 and ocaml-sexplib0-devel < 0.15)

I wonder if there's a reason for this or if we could just use

BuildRequires:  ocaml-sexplib0-devel

and remove it entirely when sexplib0 0.15 is released?

Comment 8 Jerry James 2020-08-21 14:58:32 UTC
Ugh.  I was worried those would cause problems.  Dan asked me to add them because they more fully reflect the dependencies in the upstream opam files.  Then Fabio pointed out that "and" is the wrong connective; "with" should be used instead.  I have not gotten around to changing all of them yet, so some have "and" and some have "with".

If they're causing problems, then let's remove them.  We the packagers will have to make sure we keep the right versions matched up.

Comment 9 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-21 15:02:05 UTC
Yes TBH they just cause problems with my script - it's missing many dependencies
because it cannot parse these.  In fact it's not even a problem in my script,
it's a problem that rpmspec -q --buildrequires *.spec cannot parse them - possibly
they are impossible to parse because it requires knowledge of other packages
which rpmspec doesn't have.

Do you want me to fix them?  I have everything checked out now so it's
pretty convenient for me to do that.

Comment 10 Jerry James 2020-08-21 15:07:01 UTC
Yes, please.  Sorry for the hassle.

Comment 11 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-21 15:17:07 UTC
OK that should all be done now, thanks.

Comment 12 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-21 15:34:02 UTC
FYI there seems to be a problem in dune.  Filed upstream bug:
https://github.com/ocaml/dune/issues/3736
This problem as so far affected only ocaml-cairo and ocaml-ssl,
but it is reproducible for me locally.

Comment 13 Jerry James 2020-08-21 16:37:43 UTC
When you say it is reproducible for you locally, do you mean with the new ocaml 4.11.0 release?  Because I just did a successful Rawhide mock build of ocaml-ssl with ocaml-4.11.0-0.8.dev2.fc33 and ocaml-dune-2.7.0-1.fc34.  That suggests that something changed in 4.11.0 final to cause this.

Comment 14 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-21 17:21:27 UTC
I'm able to reproduce it locally with:
ocaml-4.11.0-1.fc34.x86_64
ocaml-dune-2.7.0-2.fc34.x86_64
You can get those packages by downloading them directly from
koji (using koji download-build <NVR> --arch=x86_64).  It might
be something to do with the updated OCaml package.  However it
looked to me like a simple bug in dune which was caused by
something that changed in the Map module (eg. random ordering
of elements or something like that).

Comment 15 Jerry James 2020-08-21 17:34:05 UTC
I'm not sure that OCaml's Map is involved.  This error is coming from module Map defined in otherlibs/configurator/src/import.ml in the dune release.  It is trying to build a Map from a List, and is finding duplicate keys in the List.

The of_list_exn function is called from otherlibs/configurator/src/v1.ml, line 535, in the extract_values function.

The extract_values function is called just below that, on line 564, in the import function.

The import function is called from src/config/discover.ml from ocaml-ssl, line 54.  Apparently openssl/ssl.h is being scanned to see if SSL_set_tlsext_host_name or SSL_EXT_TLS1_3_ONLY are defined.

I'm curious to know what the duplicate key is, as I see 0 definitions of SSL_set_tlsext_host_name and 1 definition of SSL_EXT_TLS1_3_ONLY.

Comment 16 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-21 18:19:38 UTC
The other change between the development package and the current package would be LTO.

Comment 17 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-22 05:36:56 UTC
Packages which failed:

ocaml-ssl
ocaml-cairo    Both because of https://github.com/ocaml/dune/issues/3736

ocaml-lablgtk3 Because of ocaml-cairo failure
coq
frama-c
why3           Because of ocaml-lablgtk3 failure

Other failures which seem unrelated to above:

ocaml-ppx-custom-printf https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1598187
                Many dep problems possibly related to ocaml-ppx-sexp-conv

alt-ergo                https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1598177
                Unclear dep problem with ocaml-psmt2-frontend

ocaml-ppx-deriving      https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1598159
                Unclear dep problems with ocaml-ppx-tools

ocaml-mlmpfr            [no most recent build link]
                Actual compile failure, looks like LTO

ocaml-jst-config        https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1597783
                Lots of missing deps, possibly because of above build failures.

Comment 18 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-22 05:52:31 UTC
> ocaml-ppx-custom-printf https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1598187
>                 Many dep problems possibly related to ocaml-ppx-sexp-conv
> 
> alt-ergo                https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1598177
>                 Unclear dep problem with ocaml-psmt2-frontend
> 
> ocaml-ppx-deriving      https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1598159
>                 Unclear dep problems with ocaml-ppx-tools

I believe these ones are now all fixed.

> ocaml-mlmpfr            [no most recent build link]
>                 Actual compile failure, looks like LTO

I tried disabling LTO but it didn't fix the problem.

Comment 19 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-22 06:14:56 UTC
jst-config: New build failure https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1597783
It's the dune bug again.

Comment 20 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-22 08:03:21 UTC
zenon and flocq also failed:
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1598314
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1598313
but these are straightforward to understand because they depend on cairo -> lablgtk3 -> coq.

Comment 21 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-22 13:12:53 UTC
> ocaml-mlmpfr

Now built successfully.

I believe everything else now is a consequence of the dune bug.

Comment 22 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-24 11:22:23 UTC
ssl, cairo, lablgtk3 are now all built.

I'm now going into the "coq pit", wish me luck.

Comment 23 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-08-24 17:40:47 UTC
The update is here:
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-22a662d696

Comment 24 Upstream Release Monitoring 2020-09-01 13:24:23 UTC
Latest upstream release: 4.11.1
Current version/release in rawhide: 4.11.0-1.fc34
URL: https://ocaml.org

Please consult the package updates policy before you issue an update to a stable branch: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/


More information about the service that created this bug can be found at: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upstream_release_monitoring


Please keep in mind that with any upstream change, there may also be packaging changes that need to be made. Specifically, please remember that it is your responsibility to review the new version to ensure that the licensing is still correct and that no non-free or legally problematic items have been added upstream.


Based on the information from anitya: https://release-monitoring.org/project/2518/

Comment 25 Upstream Release Monitoring 2020-09-01 13:24:28 UTC
Created attachment 1713306 [details]
[patch] Update to 4.11.1 (#1870368)

Comment 26 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-09-01 16:22:01 UTC
https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ocaml-4-11-1-early-bugfix-release/6337

  "A serious bug has been discovered last week in OCaml 4.11.0:
  explicit polymorphic annotations are checked too permissively.
  Some incorrect programs (possibly segfaulting) are accepted
  by the compiler in 4.11.0.

  Programs accepted by OCaml 4.10 are unchanged.

  We are thus releasing OCaml 4.11.1 as an early bugfix version.
  You are advised to upgrade to this new version if you were
  using OCaml 4.11.0."

Comment 27 Richard W.M. Jones 2020-09-02 18:25:36 UTC
Here is the update to 4.11.1:
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-93b21a2a63

Comment 28 Fedora Update System 2020-09-11 20:13:01 UTC
FEDORA-2020-3f6760cc65 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 33. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-3f6760cc65

Comment 29 Fedora Update System 2020-09-12 15:10:29 UTC
FEDORA-2020-3f6760cc65 has been pushed to the Fedora 33 testing repository.
In short time you'll be able to install the update with the following command:
`sudo dnf upgrade --enablerepo=updates-testing --advisory=FEDORA-2020-3f6760cc65`
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2020-3f6760cc65

See also https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for more information on how to test updates.

Comment 30 Fedora Update System 2020-09-25 16:44:32 UTC
FEDORA-2020-3f6760cc65 has been pushed to the Fedora 33 stable repository.
If problem still persists, please make note of it in this bug report.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.